Thursday, November 20, 2008

What Is A Gypsy?

Photo of my love, Ciera, by me, probably my favorite photo of 2008. THAT is a gypsy, to me -- free, free, free. The rose photo is by Miss V's hubby and my bud, Rick. The pen (lower left of Ciera) is part of a photo I took. Rubber stamps, acrylic paint, bubble wrap impressions, diamond border diecut. This is the 'before' picture -- the exuberance and unselfconsciousness shown by Ciera in this picture is a message to myself: STAY A FREE SOUL. BE REAL. RISK RISK RISK. And also WRITE. Photo of me by my youngest male child (my fan is from Venice - sigh). Moroccan etched glass photo by me. Rose photo by me, cut in half. Rubber stamped words, bubble wrap impressions, acrylic paint, border strip diecut, script slide background pieces. This is the 'woman' side of the Ciera photo -- myself being the woman -- REACH UP. The glass is a reminder: half full? or half empty. Also, it's become more and more important to me to use personal photos, AND photos of myself, in my journals, to 'bring it home', so that the message is truly PERSONAL and not as easily glanced off. It's very difficult to ignore my own face within the framework of a piece.

1 comments:

Lisa said...

Oh my goodness, this is absolutely beautiful. I've just barely started working on mixed media collage and I find it amazing how you manage to combine things so perfectly. And I love the gypsy theme, it hits very close to home for me. Thank you so much for sharing these :)