Tuesday, April 14, 2009

ANNOUNCEMENT!

I've been holding myself down by the throat with this, awaiting all needed confirmations, but now I can TELL YOU: My Lovely Mother and I will be journeying 'across the pond' in July, to ENGLAND!!! I've been so excited that I can't make myself focus -- studio? pffft. Dishes? yea, right. Laundry? waz ees laundry?

No no, rather, I'm just twirling through the house, sitting on my patio roost with my left brain off frolicking in other people's flower beds while I fantasize with delight about where we'll go and what we'll do. We have long-time family friends there with whom we'll be staying -- myself with a wonderful couple in Sheffield, and My Lovely Mother in Manchester with her host from her last visit (who also met us in Paris, and again in Italy, and joined our gallivanting there).

We are presently putting together our MUST DO list. We've already made arrangements to:
1. stay at The Mount Guest House in Portinscale, Keswick [in the Lake Country] for 2 nights and 3 days, to visit the home of Beatrix Potter, to meander through green fields, down to the water, to sketch and walk and write and nap with our backs against REAL (as opposed to palm) trees ... (are you picturing the soaring endless grasses from Sense and Sensibility? Well, I am!)
2. Visit Chatsworth House, home to the Duchess of Devonshire, Georgiana.
3. And a trip to York is under discussion.

Other than that, I've only asked for three things:

1. Fish and Chips
2. English tea with scones
3. A visit to an old graveyard where I can shoot pictures of patina'd statuary

My bros, the twins, lived in England for a period of time, and have also commanded me to have a pint in their honor at a pub near my hosts' home in Sheffield. I'm looking forward to that as well.

We aren't doing any sort of mad galloping dashes. My Lovely Mother and I are both the type of travellers who prefer to do something one day, then take the next to sit with our friends (new or old), talking, sipping coffee, preparing a meal together, relaxing, in order to allow us to THINK about what we saw, talk about it, absorb it, really appreciate it.

15 comments:

Lisa PĂ©laprat said...

Look out England! I've just come back from a trip to see my elderly mother. It doesn't matter how many years I have lived away from England, it still feels like home. Can you do a side trip to Normandy?

Unknown said...

I'm so excited for you! It will be the trip of a life time. I must go someday as well. English gardens are some of the best!

Anonymous said...

WOWOWOW!!!

Holly said...

Umm, girl, from my own experience, if you can get to Kent to see Maiden's castle, I'd absolutely recommend...and not certain where you will be in relationship to Salisbury Cathedral, but that is one of the most wonderful spots on earth...Fish and chips? Trust me, won't be a problem...

beth said...

I don't take up much space and will fit nicely into that extra bag you can pack...I'll even pay the surcharge on it....

you know I'm totally over the moon for you getting to travel...and with your mom....so fabulous !

rivergardenstudio said...

Oh Toni... I am so happy and excited for you, I can see you twirling around the house from here! Roxanne

Cindy said...

Toni, that will just be awesome for you both. I am sure you will get some fabulous photos and more than one or two pints. I have a close friend whom moved here 35 years ago. She is a love and has told me some very interesting stories. It will be so much fun for you. Take Care.

Pamela McCarville said...

YIPEE!!!!!!!! I'm so excited for you. England is one place I've always wanted to go.

You are going to have so much fun!

Cam said...

I am so totally doing 'the robot' and the 'YMCA' and moonwalking, and the electric slide...

Good for you, Toni! (& Toni's mom!)

I am so freakin' stoked for you two right now!!!

Rose said...

The Lake District is stunning, we used to go there every year when we were kids. I am biased though - the most beautiful place is Cornwall and it is here that you can get the best cream for your cream teas - clotted cream. Fish and chips and graveyards are everywhere...

Really hope that you have a lovely time!

Rose said...

Aw! Maybe next time... Did you read Frenchman's Creek? The Helford where the creek is, is one of my favourite areas. I might send some clotted cream to your English hosts though if you fancy it... *grin* I know I am lucky to live here, I didn't always live here...

sam brightwell said...

Hey Toni, this is fantastic. Your agenda sounds fab indeed. I don't want to weigh you down with more suggestions of beautiful places, but I'm with Holly on the subject of Salisbury cathedral ~ in fact, I'm planning a trip up there myself again soon.
I know you won't want to cram in mad long-distance journeys, and it's hell to try travelling by road or train in this country, especially in summer, but I would so very much love to see you if there is time for us to hook up. And we would definitely have to have an English cream tea with scones.

skywind said...

Oh, Oh, Oh, God.
Health informationHumor & Fun World

Eternally Free Spirit said...

Awww lucky!!! I want to visit England at some point in my life too...along with several other places =-P

Email addy: krystal.raven@hotmail.com

Hope you enjoy your trip there! And yes fish and chips would be a must. hehe

Veronica said...

You forgot to list get V ribbons and lace..... and fun french stuff